What check-in options are offered by Virgin Atlantic?
Virgin Atlantic has lined up numerous ways for you to check in for your flight. Whether you’re on the move, at the terminal or even still at your hotel, it’s very convenient to check in for your flight with the following options:
- Online Check-in.
- Mobile Check-in.
- Kiosk Check-in.
- Twilight Check-in (available at Gatwick Airport).
- In Town Check-in (Orlando, Florida – Disney World, Hong Kong – AEL stations).
What are the check-in times for Virgin Atlantic flights?
Virgin Atlantic suggests you arrive at the airport two hours before your flight’s departure time. Virgin Atlantic reserves the right to cancel your reservation or change your seat assignment if you do not comply with the indicated check-in deadlines or fail to complete check-In (including bag drop) formalities 60 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time of your flight, whichever is longer. Virgin Atlantic cannot check you or your bags in at the gate.
You must be present at the boarding gate no later than 30 minutes before departure for international flights and no later than 20 minutes for domestic flights.
Online Check-in is available for all passengers starting from 24 hours up to 70 minutes before the scheduled departure of the flight (except flights from Havana), with the exception of passengers:
- Checking-in firearms.
- Required to see a member of staff before check-in.
- Already checked-in.
- With more than 4 flight sectors in their booking.
- Traveling to the US and holding document types other than a Passport or Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) card.
During Online Check-in, you can:
- Add additional passengers you wish to check in with you.
- Add, change and confirm any details required for immigration purposes.
- View/change seats (a seat will be allocated to you, but you can change it).
- Confirm how many bags you will be checking and add excess bags.
The boarding pass can be printed, emailed or, for selected destinations, sent to a mobile phone (Mobile Boarding Pass). If the booking contains two sectors (i.e. a connecting flight), you will receive two emails, one for each sector of the flight. Bookings which include infants and children should use the print option only. You should print your boarding pass before heading for the airport.
For all Virgin Atlantic flights, Mobile Check-in is available between 24 hours and 70 minutes before departure. Once you have checked in via your mobile phone or tablet device, there are several options for you to collect your paper boarding pass:
- Use a PC and Online Check-in to print out a boarding pass.
- Request a fax copy in the normal way.
- From a Self-Service Kiosk (if available) or Bag-Drop desk, at the airport.
Mobile Boarding Pass
When you use Online or Mobile Check-in, you can get a Mobile Boarding Pass either via email or SMS, provided the following conditions are met:
- You check in for a flight departing from the UK, the US, Dubai, Barbados, Hong Kong, or Johannesburg.
- You are a passenger checking in individually.
- Passengers are traveling as part of a group (maximum of 9 passengers), but in this case each person must have their own boarding pass on a mobile device.
Self-Service Kiosks are available for checking in starting two and a half hours before the flight’s departure at selected airports in the UK and the US: London (Heathrow and Gatwick), Manchester, New York (Newark-EWR), and San Francisco. To start Kiosk Check-in, you can use a machine readable passport, credit card, frequent flyer card, or your Virgin Atlantic booking reference, after which you will be given the following options:
- Add up to 8 additional passengers to check-in.
- Review/change your seat.
- Add/amend your frequent flyer details.
- Confirm if you have bags to check.
- Print your boarding documents.
Once completed Kiosk Check-in, go to the Bag Drop if you have bags to check. All bags must be checked at least 60 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.
Twilight Check-in is available only at London Gatwick airport between 5pm and 9pm the day before your flight’s departure. Every passenger listed in the booking will need to be present with their documentation. The day of your flight, you will have to turn up 50 minutes before boarding with your boarding pass.
In Town Check-in
When departing from select cities, off-site check-in locations allow you to check in and drop your bags before arriving at the airport. In Town Check-in services are available in Hong Kong and at Disney World (Orlando).
Disney Springs Check-in
At Disney World, you can check in from the park. Just go to the Watermelon Lot in the Westside Parking Area of Disney Springs, near the Cirque Du Soleil, between 08.15 and 13.00, and Virgin Atlantic will take care of your bags and hand you your boarding pass. All you have to do is ensure you are at the airport 2 hours before departure. Upper Class and Flying Club Gold customers can use this service free of charge. There is a $10 charge for everyone else.
Hong Kong In Town Check-in
Before you board the Airport Express Train, you can use this check-in service to beat the queues at the airport. At both Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations, you can check in up to 90 minutes before departure, on the day of your flight. The service is available daily, from 06.00 until midnight.