What is Virgin Atlantic policy on carry-on allowance?
Passengers traveling on Virgin Atlantic flights are allowed only one piece of hand baggage (two pieces for Upper Class passengers), subject to weight and size restrictions. If you want to take your laptop on board, you’ll need to place it in your hand baggage because, in addition to the carry-on allowance, you can take on board only specific articles.
What is Virgin Atlantic policy on checked baggage?
You can check some baggage free of charge subject to Virgin Atlantic’s conditions and limitations:
- The number of bags which you can check for free differs depending on your travel class and fare.
- If you want to bring extra baggage over and above your free baggage allowance, you can pay to check up to 10 extra bags per person.
- If you want to avoid paying overweight or oversized baggage fees, each bag you check should not exceed:
- 23 kg (50 lbs) in weight (except Upper Class passengers, which are not charged for overweight baggage).
- 90 x 75 x 43 cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16 in) in size.
- Bags weighing more than 32 kg (70 lbs) will not be accepted for carriage as checked baggage.
- The upper limit for oversized baggage is 190 x 75 x 65 cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 in). If it’s bigger than that, you won’t be able to check it as baggage. Different size limitations may apply for sports equipment.
Carry-on (Hand Baggage)
Passengers traveling on Virgin Atlantic flight will have the following hand baggage allowances:
- Economy and Premium:
- 1 piece with a maximum weight of 10 kg (22 lbs) and maximum size of 23 x 36 x 56 cm (approximately 9 x 14 x 22 in).
- A garment bag will not be accepted as your hand baggage unless it fits the dimensions of the hand baggage allowance.
- Upper Class:
- 2 pieces with a maximum size of 23 x 36 x 56 cm (approximately 9 x 14 x 22 in) each and a maximum combined weight of 16 kg (35 lbs).
- The maximum weight for an individual item should not exceed 12 kg (26 lbs).
- One garment bag, 20 cm (8 inches) thick, within the weight limit will count towards your two bag limit.
Only the following listed items can be taken on board in addition to the allowance above:
- A purse, handbag, or pocketbook (not being used to contain items that would otherwise be regarded as baggage).
- An overcoat or wrap.
- An umbrella or walking stick (these cannot be pointed or sharp).
- A small camera.
- A pair of binoculars.
- Reading material for the flight.
- Infant food (for consumption on the flight).
- A small amount of duty free goods.
- Headphones for on board use (with standard 3.5 mm jack only).
Walking aids and manual collapsible wheelchairs (mobility aids in general) can also be taken on board some Virgin Atlantic flights. Where space isn’t available on board, the wheelchair will be placed in the hold.
Depending on the travel class and purchased fare, checked baggage allowances applying on Virgin Atlantic operated flights differ as follows:
- Light fare – no free baggage allowance.
- Classic and Delight fares – 1 bag up to 23 kg (50 lbs), with the exception of the routes the UK, the US – India, Lagos and the US – Johannesburg, where the allowance is 2 bags up to 23 kg (50 lbs) each.
- Premium – 2 bags up to 23 kg (50 lbs) each, with the exception of the route the UK, the US – Delhi, where the allowance is 3 bags up to 23 kg (50 lbs) each.
- Upper Class – 3 bags up to 32 kg (70 lbs) each.
For all travel classes, maximum dimensions for each bag are 90 x 75 x 43 cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16 in). Gold members of Flying Club can check an extra piece of baggage up to 23 kg, on all Virgin Atlantic operated flights for no extra charge, regardless of their travel cabin.
If your journey with Virgin Atlantic includes more than one travel class, each class baggage allowance will apply for each of the individual sectors. Baggage cannot be combined; if flying with more than one person, you will be charged with an overweight baggage fee if you exceed the weight limit.
When traveling to/from the US on a VS codeshare flight (operated by a partner airline), Virgin Atlantic’s baggage allowance and charges apply. When traveling on a VS codeshare flight (operated by a partner airline) to/from any other destination, the partner airline’s baggage policy applies.
Extra Baggage Fees
You can buy additional baggage allowance during Online Check-in. You can pay online for up to 7 extra bags per passenger. From the 8th to the 10th extra bag, you’ll need to pay fees at the airport. If your itinerary involves a connecting flight operated by a different airline, you cannot purchase extra baggage online, but only at the airport. For infants, one extra bag can be purchased online only if you purchased the Light fare.
Overweight and oversized baggage fees can only be paid at the airport. If a bag is both overweight and oversized, then both the charges will apply.
The following fees for extra baggage apply on Virgin Atlantic flights and are payable each way:
|Extra Baggage||Fee||Extra Baggage||Fee|
|1st bag (Light fare only)|
GBP 45 / USD 60
|Overweight bags (23 – 32 kg)|
GBP 65 / USD 100
GBP 65 / USD 100
|Oversized bags ( more than 90 x 75 x 43 cm,|
but less than 190 x 75 x 65 cm)
GBP 65 / USD 100
|3rd bag and subsequent|
GBP 140 / USD 200
|The British Pound (GBP) charges apply to all departures from the UK. For departures elsewhere, the US Dollar (USD) charge will be converted into the local currency.|
Most sporting equipment can be checked as part of the free baggage allowance (in place of a checked bag). For all travel classes, there is no extra charge if the sporting item weighs less than 23 kg (50 lbs) and measures up to 190 x 75 x 65 cm (75 x 30 x 26 in). Fees apply to check sporting equipment that exceeds your allowance.
Virgin Atlantic no longer accepts as checked baggage the following sporting equipment: canoes, kayaks, hang gliders and windsurfing equipment.
In case of delayed or damaged baggage, you must make a report (PIR – Property Irregularity Report) before leaving the airport. Virgin Atlantic cannot begin to look for your bag, neither accept responsibility for delayed baggage, unless you report it. Any claim for significant damage to checked baggage and/or contents must be submitted in writing within 7 days of receipt of the baggage.
Virgin Atlantic will reimburse you for essential purchases when you return home (up to $ 50 in the US, or the equivalent of £50 in all other destinations) if you make a claim within 21 days of your bag being returned to you. Once your baggage is found, it will be delivered to your address (except addresses in Lagos). If your baggage is not located within 21 days, Virgin Atlantic will declare it ‘irretrievably lost’.