What is Malaysia Airlines policy on pet acceptance?
The carriage of domestic pets in the aircraft cabin is not permitted. Domestic pets may be carried in the cargo holds on the same flight as special excess baggage.
To the following destinations, Malaysia Airlines can only accept pets transported as cargo (freight), and not as checked baggage: all Australian destinations, Auckland, Bandar Seri Begawan, Hong Kong, London.
What is Malaysia Airlines policy on acceptance of Service Animals?
Assistance Dogs accompanying sight or hearing impaired passengers, together with containers and food, will be carried free of charge in addition to the free baggage allowance.
Pets in the Hold
Pets such as cats, dogs and fishes may be accepted as accompanied baggage at check-in provided that:
- The governmental regulations of each individual country (departure, transit and arrival countries) are complied with.
- The accepted animals are allocated in aircraft holds.
- The instruction for watering and feeding are given in writing at the time of acceptance.
- Excess baggage charges are paid (pets will not be accepted as part of the free baggage allowance).
Customs import/export permits for carriage and/or a Veterinarian Health Certificate for the animals may be required. The passenger must obtain the necessary documents for the pet flight.
Some breeds of dogs, such as snub-nosed dogs, and their crossbreeds are not accepted for carriage on Malaysia Airlines flights.
When brought into Malaysia, dogs are subject to import restrictions and conditions imposed by the Malaysian Department of Veterinary Services.
The kennel or container used for the animal must satisfy the following conditions:
- It must be adequately ventilated on at least three sides, well-constructed and able to withstand other freight damaging it or causing the structure to buckle or bend
- The openings must be small enough or covered with mesh in order to prevent escape or protrusion of any part of the animal.
Excess Baggage Charges for Pets
Passengers traveling with pets as checked baggage may check in online (Web Check-in or Mobile Check-in) and, on the day of the travel, proceed to the counter to make payment for the pet.
Pets shall not be included in the free baggage allowance but shall constitute excess baggage for which the passenger must pay the applicable charges. The weight of the container/cage with the animal inside will be charged as excess baggage under the following conditions:
- The charge is based on the animal’s weight plus the weight of the cage.
- In case the weight of the animal and its cage is less than 5 kg, a minimum fee, equivalent to the charge for 5 excess kg, will be charged.