Does Iberia offer services for children traveling alone?
Iberia designates as an Unaccompanied Minor all children between the ages of 5 to 11 years, traveling alone or without an adult in the same cabin. And understanding the potential risks that this fact represents, Iberia policy involves that the minor will be in the company of the airline personnel, during all flight. Children traveling alone are taken care of from their check-in until the meeting with the authorized person who will be picking up the children at the destination airport; minors are also accompanied in cases of changing flights and in transit.
Only passengers who are 16 years old and older will be regarded as adults when thinking about purposes of accompanying a minor
Which are the age limitations for children traveling alone on Iberia flights?
Iberia states that for safety reasons and due to the special attention that is needed to provide to these passengers, minors are allowed to travel unaccompanied as long as they fulfill the following requisites:
- The Minor Companion Service must be booked if the minor is between the ages of 5 and 11 (inclusive).
- The responsible adult for the minor needs to provide the name of the person responsible for the minor at the origin airport, his or her address and a contact telephone number.
- The responsible adult for the minor needs to provide the name of an authorized guardian who will pick the child up at the destination city, his or her address and telephone number.
- Passport or visa, if any of these are required in the destination country.
- The previous information allows Iberia to verify the identity of the person responsible for the children, when looking for them at the destination airport; it is also useful in case of need to contact him or her.
The Minor Companion Service is optional if the minor is between the ages of 12 and 17 (inclusive).
Minor Companion Service
It is necessary for you to have in consideration the following:
- You have three options to request the service: online up to 72 hours before departure (available in some countries), by telephone or at an Iberia office up to 24 hours before departure, or, less than 24 hours before departure, in person at the airport. For flights from London-Heathrow – Terminal 5, requests for the Unaccompanied Minor service must be made at least 48 hours before flight departure.
- Arrive at the airport with much time in advance (about 2.5 hours before flight departure), in order to complete the documents required. Do not go away from the departure airport area until it has been definite that the flight has taken off.
- Supply the child with an extra copy of the important contact numbers at the origin and at the destination.
- The service is available for connecting flights with the Iberia Group via Madrid only.
- The airline will not admit ticket reservations for children traveling alone when code-share flights (IB7XXX Latam Airlines flights and IB4XXX American Airlines flights) are involved in the transport. Iberia Express and Iberia Regional Air Nostrum are also included.
- Unaccompanied Minors are not accepted on Bristish Airways flights, IB5XXX flights operated by Vueling (all children under 12 years of age must be accompanied) and IB26XX flights operated by Iberia for LEVEL (all children under 14 years of age must be accompanied).
At select airports, the family members or guardians of children who are traveling alone are allowed to enter the boarding area. In order to do that, these people will need to ask for a “Companions’ Card” at any of the check-in counter desks of Iberia. This card will only permit the entrance until the boarding gate assigned for the scheduled date and time of the flight, in order to accompany the minor. The adults who will go with the minor must be carrying his or her passport or a valid National Identification Document to be able to access the border control along with the child.
The payment can be made when making the reservation and the ticket is issued. The cost for this service per each flight is:
- Direct flights:
- €45/$55/£40 – domestic flights, excluding the Canary Islands.
- €70/$85/£65 – flights to/from Europe, the Canary Islands, the Middle East, and North Africa.
- €120/$145/£110 – flights to/from America, Asia and South Africa.
- Connecting flights via Madrid:
- €70/$85/£65 – domestic connections, excluding the Canary Islands.
- €100/$120/£90 – connections to/from Europe, the Canary Islands, the Middle East, and North Africa.
- €150/$180/£135 – connections to/from America, Asia and South Africa.
Young Traveling Alone
If you, as a parent or tutor, need that your kid from 12 to 17 years old travels unaccompanied, you can request the same service as the offered to children from 5 to 11 years old traveling alone. This includes personalized attention from departure until arrival of the flight, besides company of the airline personnel in transit for connecting flights. It is recommended to book in advance and to meet the mandatory security requirements.
Please consider that you cannot apply for this service when the trip includes legs operated by other airlines or on IB7000 flights. On IB7000 American Airlines flights, minors younger than 15 years old will not be permitted to fly unaccompanied, they should always be accompanied by a person older than 18 years old.