Are passengers allowed to transport animals on Philippine Airlines flights?
Philippine Airlines allows passengers to transport animals, such as dogs, cats, and household birds, only as checked baggage. Animals shall not be carried in the passenger cabin, with the exception of Service Animals.
On all Philippine Airlines domestic and international flights, all brachycephalic dog breeds and mixed-breeds will not be accepted for transport.
What are the general conditions for acceptance of pets on Philippine Airlines flights?
Pets are acceptable for carriage as checked baggage under the following conditions:
- Accompanied by an adult passenger at least 12 years old.
- With the advance agreement of Philippine Airlines. An inquiry with Philippine Airlines Reservations Office about acceptance of pets as baggage from a specific airport of origin must be made at least 48 hours before scheduled departure.
- Accompanied by valid health and vaccination certificates, entry/transit permits, and other documents required by countries of entry or transit. Depending on restrictions imposed by local government authorities, varied rules and regulations with regard to carriage of animals as baggage may apply for specific countries. For pets traveling to Japan, Animal Bureau Quarantine of Japan must be notified at least 40 days prior to the arrival of the pet.
- Crated in a secure and leak-proof container.
- Full responsibility for the animal is assumed by the passenger.
Domestic and Regional Flights – Weight Concept
Pets are not included in the Free Baggage Allowance (FBA), and thus shall be automatically considered as excess baggage even if the total baggage weight of the passenger is still within the FBA. The fee will be calculated based on the total weight of the pet and container:
- Domestic flights:
- Up to 20 kg – PHP 1,000 per 5 kg (e.g., 11 kg – PHP 3,000).
- 15.1 kg up to 50 kg – PHP 2,000 per 10 kg (e.g., 37 kg – PHP 8,000).
- Regional flights – depending on the total weight (pet + container):
US, Canada, Japan, Guam flights – Piece Concept
Pets are not included in the Free Baggage Allowance (FBA), and thus shall be automatically considered as excess baggage even if the passenger does not have any other baggage. The fee will be calculated based on the total weight of the pet and container and the size of the container:
- Size of 203 cm (80 linear inches) or less and weight less than 23 kg (50 lbs) – charged 200% of the applicable Excess Baggage Rate per Piece.
- Size over 203 cm (80 linear inches) and weight more than 23 kg (50 lbs) – charged 300% of the applicable Excess Baggage Rate per Piece.
- Each additional 10 kg (20 lbs) – charged 100% of the applicable Excess Baggage Rate per Piece.
- Total excess baggage charge – the total result charged twice.
Service Dogs accompanying sight/hearing impaired passengers will be carried free of charge in the passenger cabin. Service Dogs, together with containers and food, are not included in the Free Baggage Allowance. As evidence that the animal is a Service Dog, Philippine Airlines accepts identification cards or other written documentation, the presence of harness/tags, or other verbal assurances of a person with a disability using the animal.
The Service Dog may accompany the passenger at any seat unless the animal obstructs an aisle, or another area that must remain unobstructed to facilitate an emergency evacuation. For a person with a disability (and one traveling companion) traveling with a Service Dog, Philippine Airlines will provide, at the passenger’s request, either a bulkhead seat or a seat other than a bulkhead seat in the same class of service. Passengers traveling with a Service Dog are exempt from the Choice Economy Seat Surcharge (CESS).Emotional Support Dogs are accepted only for flights to/from the US. Dogs used for emotional support are accepted in the cabin free of charge, but the passenger must provide current documentation.