What services does Jet Airways offer regarding minors?
Upon request, Jet Airways puts at its passengers’ disposal the Unaccompanied Minor Service, which is available for both domestic and international flights.
All you have to do is visit Jet Airways’ official website and download the Unaccompanied Minor Form, which must be completed in three copies and submitted to the airline in order for your child to benefit from this service.
What are the age restrictions on Jet Airways flights?
If you wish to send your child aged between 5 to 12 years alone on a journey with Jet Airways, the Unaccompanied Minor Service is mandatory.
Even if your child travels accompanied by one or more persons, he or she will be regarded as an Unaccompanied Minor (UM) if his or her fellow travelers are under 18. Thus, you will still be required to complete all the UM formalities.
Unaccompanied Minor service age criteria also apply to Accompanied Minors – children accompanied by parents or guardians on the same flight but in different cabins (e.g., parents in Première and children in Economy) who will be treated as Unaccompanied Minors on board the aircraft.
Children between 12 and 16 years of age will be considered as Young Guests, but, optionally, they can be treated as Unaccompanied Minors provided the service has been requested by their parents or guardians.
Unaccompanied Minor Service
When applying for the Unaccompanied Minor Service, you should know that your child will be entrusted to an In-flight Executive, who will take them to the plane and help them with the boarding procedures. Upon arrival at the airport of destination, this In-flight Executive will hand your child over to the ground staff. The ground staff is the one responsible with transferring custody from the airline to the person designated to pick up the child.
Jet Airways’ staff will try and make sure that, during the flight, your child will be under constant supervision. In order for this to happen, Unaccompanied Minors are seated next to the crew galley, so that the flight attendants could keep an eye on them at all times.
Jet Airways also provides transport for your child between terminals, or even between airports within the same city, should the time window between flights be less than 4 hours and when the following situations occur:
- The onward connecting flight is carried by Jet Airways and is scheduled to depart from another distant location (another airport in the same city / another terminal in the same airport).
- The onward connecting flight is carried by another airline, which is scheduled to take off from the same terminal or another one close by (located in the same airport).
However, a person should be specially designated to pick up and transfer the minor to the next boarding point of the onward connecting flight, if this flight is carried by another airline, and if it departs from another airport in the same city or from other distant terminal.
Keep in mind that, before taking into account the possibility of sending your child alone with Jet Airways, several restrictions apply:
- Your child’s ticket must be purchased directly for Jet Airways, online booking being unavailable for Unaccompanied Minors.
- On neither domestic nor international routes do Unaccompanied Minors benefit from child discounts.
- Jet Airways cannot place at your child’s disposal any paid staff member to escort and assist him / her during the flight.
- As a general rule, unaccompanied minors are not accepted on flights that involve overnight stops.
- If other airlines are involved in your child’s flight itinerary, then Jet Airways will agree upon the carriage of the minor provided that all other airlines’ policies are also in line with this type of service (UM).
Jet Airways’ fee policy regarding Unaccompanied Minors is as follows:
- 4000 INR – flights within India.
- 60 USD – short-haul flights (flights between India and SAARC (Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka)and Gulf region (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates).
- 100 USD – long-haul flights (the rest of the world).
The aforementioned fees apply for a complete cycle of “origin – destination”. Please note that stopovers (a minimum 24-hour time window between arrival and departure on the onward connecting flight) are considered destinations. Thus, in itineraries with multiple stopovers, the Unaccompanied Minor charges will cumulate proportional to the number of stopovers. Only Jet Airways operated flights are subject to these rules, other rules being applicable for interline and codeshare flights.
If two or more children from the same family travel unaccompanied on the same flight, a single charge for every two of them will be levied.
Accompanied Minors are children travelling with parents or guardians on the same flight but in different cabins and who will be treated as Unaccompanied Minors on board the aircraft. The adult fare will be applicable for Accompanied Minors (no child discount). The UMNR form is not required for such cases, and all travel documents of the Accompanied Minor shall be handled by the parent or guardian. The Unaccompanied Minor Service charge will not apply.