What is Cathay Pacific’s policy on carry-on allowance?
For all classes, each passenger (except an infant) has a free baggage allowance of one piece of hand baggage plus one small personal item. For all travel classes, duty-free items are included in the cabin baggage allowance.
Special carry-on allowances apply on non-stop flights between Hong Kong and Auckland/Christchurch without extra sectors, operated by Cathay Pacific or Air New Zealand only.
What is Cathay Pacific’s policy on checked allowance?
The free baggage allowance to which passengers are entitled varies depending on route, class and frequent flyer status. Extra bags may be checked for a charge.
On Cathay pacific flights, the Weight System sets the free baggage allowance, except to/from/via the Americas (the US, Canada, Central America and South America) and on Hong Kong – Auckland/Christchurch non-stop flights, where the Piece System applies (restrictions on the number of pieces, maximum weight and dimensions).
Which baggage policies apply when an itinerary includes a codeshare flight?
When traveling on a codeshare flight operated by a Cathay Pacific codeshare partner to/from an airport outside of the US, the Most Significant Carrier’s baggage policy will apply. When the journey’s origin, destination, or furthest point is the US, and flights are operated by Cathay Pacific codeshare partners, the baggage policy is determined by the marketing carrier, which can opt to apply its own baggage policy or the rule of the most significant marketing carrier (MSC) for the journey.
If passengers are traveling in two classes on one journey, they can enjoy the greater allowance for the whole journey.
The cabin bag must not exceed 56 x 36 x 23 cm (22 x 14 x 9 in) in size. These dimensions include handles, wheels and side pockets. The total weight entitlements of the cabin baggage are as follows:
- Economy & Premium Economy – 7 kg (15 lbs).
- Business – 10 kg (22 lbs).
- First – 15 kg (33 lbs).
Besides the standard cabin bag, passengers may carry on board one of the following items free of charge: small handbag, small backpack, briefcase or laptop bag, with maximum dimensions of 40 x 30 x 15 cm (16 x 12 x 6 in).
Passengers requiring assistive devices and/or mobility aids such as canes, walker, Medical Portable Electronic Devices, crutches and a wheelchair, may carry on board the following item(s) free of charge:
- For U.S. flights – no limit on assistive devices and mobility aids required for the duration of the trip
- For European and other flights – one assistive device and two pieces of mobility aids.
Special Cabin Baggage Allowances
Special cabin baggage allowances apply in the following cases:
- On non-stop flights between Hong Kong and Auckland/Christchurch without extra sectors, operated by Cathay Pacific or Air New Zealand only:
- 2 items of hand baggage, each with a maximum weight of 7 kg (15 lbs) and total dimensions of 118 cm (45 in) – in Business & Premium Economy class and for Diamond, Gold and Silver members of The Marco Polo Club in Economy class.
- 1 item of hand baggage with a maximum weight of 7 kg (15 lbs) and total dimensions of 118 cm (45 in) – in Economy class.
- For members of The Marco Polo Club, the special cabin baggage allowance will apply only if the cabin baggage allowance in the member’s travel class is lower and is:
- Gold and Silver members – 10 kg in Economy & Economy Premium Class.
- Diamond members – 15 kg in Economy, Economy Premium & Business Class.
Free Baggage Allowances
Where Weight System applies, for all flights, except point-to-point flights between Hong Kong and New Zealand (operated by Cathay Pacific or Air New Zealand only) and flights to/from/via the Americas, the following free baggage allowances apply:
|Free Baggage Allowance – Weight System|
|Passenger Type||Weight Allowance||Maximum Number|
|Adults and Children||30 kg|
|2 pieces||3 pieces||203 cm|
|Marco Polo Silver||Additional 10 kg (22 lbs)||2 pieces||3 pieces|
|Marco Polo Gold||Additional 15 kg (33 lbs)||3 pieces||4 pieces|
|Marco Polo Diamond||Additional 20 kg (44 lbs)||3 pieces||4 pieces|
|*No piece should weigh over 32 kg (70 lbs).|
On flights to/from/via the US, Canada, Central and South America, the Piece System applies as follows:
|Free Baggage Allowance – the US, Canada, Central and South America|
|Passenger Type||Piece Allowance||Maximum Weight||Maximum Dimensions|
|Adults and Children||2 pieces||23 kg|
|Marco Polo Gold & Diamond||1 additional|
On flights point-to-point flights between Hong Kong and New Zealand (operated by Cathay Pacific or Air New Zealand only), the piece system applies as follows:
|Free Baggage Allowance – Non-stop Flights between Hong Kong and Auckland/Christchurch|
|Passenger Type||Piece Allowance||Maximum|
|Business||All classes||All classes|
|Adults and Children||1 piece||2 pieces||3 pieces||23 kg|
|Marco Polo Silver, Gold & Diamond||1 additional|
Extra Baggage Fees
The weight of any single piece of checked baggage should not be over 32kg (70lb). Acceptance of any bag weighing more than 32 kg (70 lbs) is subject to prior approval by Cathay Pacific and notification upon booking/reservation. Overweight items will be split into lighter units or repacked during check-in otherwise will not be accepted for carriage (exception: musical instruments, camera equipment, household effects, mobility aids, medical equipment, sporting equipment, pets as baggage and diplomatic baggage). Any bag will not be carried as accompanied baggage unless prior notification is made if it exceeds the total dimensions of 203 cm (80 in) in width, height and length.
Fees for baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance are calculated on a zone basis:
- Zone 1: Japan, China, Taiwan, Cambodia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, Myanmar, Korea, Russia (in Asia), as well as within Australia, within Malaysia, between Taiwan and Japan/Korea, between Thailand and Singapore, between UAE and Bahrain.
- Zone 2: Maldives, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka.
- Zone 3: Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Israel.
- Zone 4: the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Russia (in Europe), South Africa, Fiji, Australia, New Zealand.
- Zone 5: the US and Canada.
- Zone 6: Central and South America.
Extra charges by weight apply for all flights, except point-to-point flights between Hong Kong and Auckland (operated by Cathay Pacific or Air New Zealand only) and flights to/from/via the Americas. Charge for baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance is calculated per kilogram (2.2 lbs) on a zone chart as listed below:
Excess Weight Fees per Kg – Weight System
To Hong Kong
|To Zone 1||To Zone 2||To Zone 3|
To Zone 4
|From Hong Kong|
|From Zone 1|
|From Zone 2|
|From Zone 3|
|From Zone 4|
Excess Piece Fees (per piece) – Weight System
Hong Kong & Zone 1, 2, 3
|Hong Kong & Zone 1, 2, 3|
On flights to/from/via the US, Canada, Central and South America, fees for baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance are calculated by piece at the applicable extra baggage charge on a zone basis listed as below:
Extra Piece Fees (per piece) – the US, Canada, Central and South America
|Zone 1||Zone 2||Zone 3||Zone 4||Zone 5|
|$ 150||$ 170||$ 190||$ 200||$ 100|
|$ 180||$ 200||$ 210||$ 230||–|
Remember that checked baggage to/from/via the Americas that is heavier or larger than the stated free baggage allowance will be charged with an additional fee:
- $100 per piece – for overweight bags up to 32 kg (over 23 kg in Economy, and over 25 kg in Premium Economy), including baggage covered by the free baggage allowance.
- $100 per piece – for oversized bags over 158 cm (62 in) and up to 203 cm (80 in), for all classes.
On point-to-point flights between Hong Kong and Auckland, the following excess baggage fees apply:
- NZD 200 / HKD 1300 – first additional piece.
- NZD 250 / HKD 1700 – second additional piece.
- NZD 350 / HKD 2200 per piece – third additional piece and after.
- NZD 200 / HKD 1300 per piece – overweight piece (any piece over 23 kg and up to 32 kg).
- NZD 200 / HKD 1300 per piece – oversized piece (any piece over 158 cm and up to 203 cm).
Sporting equipment is counted as part of the checked baggage allowance. If in excess of the standard free baggage allowance, sporting equipment is subject to the applicable standard excess baggage fees. When the Piece System applies, sporting equipment over 203 cm (80 in) is charged 4 times the oversized piece fee.
In case of delayed or damaged baggage, you can file a report at Cathay Pacific’s Baggage Services Counter, located at the Arrival Hall, or contact Cathay Pacific’s Baggage Services directly in your particular country/territory. In case of delay or damage to baggage on international flights, a complaint must be made in writing to Cathay Pacific. The Baggage Claim Form you must fill out will serve as your notice of claim if your missing baggage is not found.