Does Bulgaria Air offer any special service for children traveling alone?
An Unaccompanied Minor (UM) is any child under 12 years of age at the time of the flight that is not accompanied by a parent/guardian or other passenger at least 18 years of age on the same flight. For children traveling alone – Unaccompanied Minors (UM) – Bulgaria Air offers two special services: the Escort Service and the Unaccompanied Minor Service.
What is the required age for a child to qualify as an Unaccompanied Minor?
Children up to 3 years of age are not accepted for carriage as Unaccompanied Minors.
The Unaccompanied Minor procedure applies mandatory to all children aged between 3 and 12 years, traveling on their own on flights operated by Bulgaria Air.
Upon request from parents/guardians, the Unaccompanied Minor Service can be provided for children aged between 12 and 18 years.
Because they are a special category of passengers, it is not allowed to book a ticket for Unaccompanied Minors online. You will have to contact Bulgaria Air Call Center or your travel agent to book a flight for your child. The reservation cannot include a night stop or transfer unless you have made arrangements for your child to be met and taken care of at the place of transfer.
The child’s parent/guardian must fill a form that contains the full name, age and date of birth of the Unaccompanied Minor, as well as the name, address, and contact details of the person who will accompany the child to the departure airport and of the person who will meet the child at the arrival airport.
When children aged between 3 and 5 years are traveling alone, it is mandatory that they are accompanied by an escort – a stewardess is flying as a passenger with the child and is taking care of him/her throughout the whole flight. Upon request, an escort may also be provided for children who have already turned 5 years of age.
When an escort is provided to travel with the child, Bulgaria Air charges the following fares and fees:
- The full adult fare with child discount, if applicable, for the child.
- Full fare and airport taxes for the stewardess escort.
- One flight attendant can escort two siblings simultaneously and, in that case, only one fare is charged for both children.
Unaccompanied Minor Service
Children aged between 5 and 12 years may travel alone only if the Unaccompanied Minors service has been requested. The Unaccompanied Minors service includes additional services and special care for children that fly on their own – employees of Bulgaria Air receive the child from the person that escorts him or her to the departure airport, accompanies the child through all airport formalities, and hands him over to the person that will collect the child at the destination.
Fares and Fees
For children traveling as Unaccompanied Minors, Bulgaria Air charges the following fares and fees:
- Children 5 to 7 years of age – the full adult fare (the child discount does not apply).
- Children 8 to 11 years of age – the child fare (with the applicable child discount for the respective tariff).
- Additional fee for the Unaccompanied Minors service:
- EUR/GBP 50 per leg – Sofia – London.
- EUR 40 per leg – international flights.
- EUR 20 per leg – domestic flights.
- For two siblings who travel together only one UM fee is charged.