What is Airtran Airways policy on pet acceptance?
Airtran Airways only accepts pets in the passenger cabin. Pets will not be accepted under any circumstances as checked baggage.
Are pets allowed on international flights?
Airtran Airways allows passengers to travel with their pet only on domestic flights. Pets are not accepted on international flights, with the exception of flights between U.S. and Puerto Rico.
What pets are allowed in the passenger cabin?
Only small domestic dogs and cats are accepted to travel in the passenger cabin. Household birds are no longer accepted on Airtran Airways flights.
Pets traveling in the passenger cabin
Pets are accepted on Airtran Airways flights on a first come, first served basis. Pet travel can be booked through Airtran Airways reservation desk. AirTran-only itineraries booked through Southwest channels cannot be purchased for pets. Pets are not accepted on shared itineraries,
Passengers may travel with their pet if the following conditions imposed by Airtran Airways are respected:
- The dog or cat must be small enough to fit in a pet carrier stowed under the seat in front of the passenger for the entire duration of the flight.
- The pet must be at least 8 weeks old.
- The pet must be vaccinated, harmless, not disruptive, and odorless.
- The pet must not require any attention during flight.
- The pet must remain in the carrier at all times (including head and tail) while in the gate area, during boarding/deplaning, and while onboard the aircraft.
- One passenger may bring only one pet onboard
- One pet is allowed per pet carrier. Two pets may be accommodated in one carrier if they are of the same species and small enough to fit comfortably.
- Only 6 pet carriers are accepted per flight, not including any assistance animals.
- Any passenger traveling with a pet must not occupy an exit row seat or a bulkhead seat.
The pet carrier must comply with the following conditions:
- Hard-sided or soft-sided pet kennels are both are accepted as long as they are ventilated on two sides and leakproof.
- Small enough to be stored under the seat in front of you, the pet carrier must be appropriate for the pet, i.e. your pet must be able to stand up and move around.
- The pet carrier must not exceed maximum dimensions of 8.5” high x 17” long x 12” wide.
- The pet carrier is considered either as a carry-on bag, or a personal item, counting toward your carry-on allowance.
A $ 75 fee is charged per pet carrier that must be paid at the time of booking. The fee is nonrefundable, but, as long as the reservation is canceled prior to the departure of the first flight segment of the itinerary, a future travel credit will be issued for unused travel segments.
Pet kennels are available for purchase at Airtran Airways ticket counters from many airports:
- Hard-sided kennel – $ 25
- Soft-sided kennel – $ 50
Fully trained dogs and other assistance animals may accompany a qualified individual with a disability onboard the aircraft at no charge. Except when too large to be safely accommodated on the floor in front of or next to the customer with a disability, assistance animals are accepted on all Airtran Airways flights.
Airtran Airways accepts Emotional Support Animals in the cabin provided that the passenger presents the proper documentation (not more than one year old) to an AirTran Airways Crew Member.